Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

November: A Month of Giving Thanks

I decided to give thanks each day of November on my blog. Rather than post 30 times, I will be updating this post each day.

Day 26:
Day 25: I am thankful for all the men and women who are currently serving in our military especially those who will not be home with their families this Thanksgivings.
Day 24: I am thankful for the ability to buy the foods we want to cook for thanksgivings.
Day 23: I am thankful for working sewing machines and a patient husband.
Day 22: I am thankful for my neighbors. I may not understand their accent, but I do understand their caring for each other. They help us and include us in their family events. They show what the difference between joy and happiness is and that joy definitely doesn't depend on money or things!
Day 21: I am thankful each day for my life such as it is. DH and I enjoy each other's company. We both like the peaceful solidary life. We both believe that chores should be shared.
Day 20: I am thankful for my four legged children- Leapaul, Lilly, Lucy, Ama, and Me-new. Even though they are sometimes trouble like breaking the back glass door, they love us unconditionally. Right now Me-new is laying on my arms to keep them warm and Lilly is guarding the front door. Leapaul is in bedroom making sure DH is sleeping soundly. Ama & Lucy are guarding the back yard.
Day 19: I am thankful that I learned how to make different foods using my crock pot. Last week, I fixed white beans and sausage which was delicious. Last night, I put red beans and sausage cooking. This morning, the house smells very good. I know that I will have to go get more sausage to put in the beans b/c DH ate half of what I had saved for the beans. He does like his turkey sausage! Next week, I will put a roast in it for Thanksgivings. It is so nice not to have to worry about cooking over the stove.
Day 18: I am thankful that I am finally finished with the rag t-shirt quilt.
Day 17: I am thankful for cool nights and warmer days. Fall/Autumn is a great time of the year just like Spring. Winter and Summer are not my favorite seasons-either too cold or too hot. Over heated places or super air conditioned places happen during those two seasons.


Day 16: I am thankful for the quiet morning time I have. It is a time to reflect on what I did the day before and what I want to do during that day. I sit and pray thanking my Savior for all He has done for me. I read blogs and drink a large cup of coffee while my cat snoozes besides me.
Day 15: I am thankful for my ability to sew and piece. That ability was/is helped by so many women: My nanny, who insisted that I learn to sew at an early age, and didn't give up on me. My mom who provided me access to sewing classes to learn more about zippers and cutting. My daughters who thought I could make anything and expected me to do so.(They still do!) My grandmother who brought me to the quilting bees and insisted I learn to quilt. The guild members who don't point out my mistakes, but instead celebrate my growth.
Day 14: I am thankful that I live in a small community that takes care of each other. We have our problems, but when someone needs help all the neighbors are there.
Day 13:I am thankful for the children I taught for all the things they taught me.
Day 12: I am thankful for all my dad taught me. He expected me to be able to think my way thru problems and come to a logical answer. He helped me understand that I could do anything I wanted to do. Maybe it wouldn't be the way others did it but I could get it done. His smoking and drinking showed me what awful habits they are. I miss him and his ways.
Day 11: I am thankful for all the service men and women who pledged their lives to the service of out country. My husband served in the Air Force; my son in the Army; one grandson in the Navy and one in the Marines;  a nephew in Air Force; and DGD#2's boyfriend in the Marines. I am thankful for each of them and their service.
Day 10: I am thankful for good friends. Some I don't see for months and yet the conversation starts as if we were together every day. If I need, they are the first to appear. When they need, I go. God has given me wonderful supportive friends.
Day 9: I am thankful for the sunrise that I saw this morning and the morning rides with DD#4. A time of quiet shared peace. I am reminded each day of the saying, "Don't let someone pull you into their drama instead pull them into your peace." There is no drama on those early morning ride just peaceful quiet. Oh, and the dinging of DD#4's cell phone or game. LOL
Day 8: My Aunt Ruth comes to mind as someone I am thankful that was in my life. She looked at things in a different way. She saw lions, monkeys, turtles, etc in objects where all I saw until she finished the project was a piece of junk. Recycling and reusing things were just part of her nature. I am thankful she taught me how to see the creative side of life!
Day 7: I am thankful for my mom. She was not a perfect mom, but she loved me each and every day in her own way. Many days I just want to talk to her about what is going on and get her unique view point. She left this earth too soon.
Day 6: I am very thankful that we have all we need each and every day. We don't live fancy, but we have enough. Especially fabric! 
Day 5: My grandchildren are the lights of my heart. I am so thankful that I have lived long enough to see most of them become wonderful adults. The hugs my grandsons give me when we see each other warm my heart. The kisses my granddaughters plant on my face make the world brighter.
Day 4: I am thankful for my daughters. They have all grown to be outstanding women. Each one brings a different experience and style to my life. They have taught me the meaning of unconditional love.
Day 3: I am thankful that my Savior put my wonderful husband in my life 20 years ago. He is my best friend, best supporter, a wonderful companion, and a great enabler.
Day 2: I am so very thankful for my health even with all the problems I am having at this time.
Day 1: I am so thankful that my Savior got me and mine home safely from Houston.

1 comment:

  1. A number of years ago a friend gave me a gratitude journal. At bedtime every night you would write down three good things about the day. Definitely gives one a different perspective on things. Some days, however, I would have to look long and hard to find three things! LOL

    ReplyDelete