Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Sarah Craig 's (Confessions of a Fabric Addict) Challenge

  Most of us have them and they seem to grow when we are not looking!
  At times just looking at them is overwhelming when we think about how much we spent on them.
  Most of us want to get them under control so we can do something with them. 
  Most of us refuse to kick them to the curb so they sit and 'breed' in out of the way places.
   What am I talking about? Teenagers - No! Four legged family members - NO!
                                   Scraps!

Sarah, who blogs at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, came up with the idea of a "Tame Your Scraps" challenge.  I love Sarah's idea and am 100 % in for this challenge.
I plan on participating in this challenge b/c I do need to be accountable, but mainly because I ran out of places to store my scraps. 
If it is blogged for everyone to see, then I will have help from readers to on this path. Right? 
  Right now I have DD#1's Go Big and am cutting lots of 10" squares, 2.5" strips, 1.5" strips, strings, and chunks from the enormous amount of unloved fabric and scraps that appeared while I was looking for missing "Wedding Quilt" fabric and transferring stuff from den to studio.
By Unloved fabric, I mean if you bought that fabric in 2002, can't remember why you bought it, and haven't used it yet then it is time to cut it up.
   Why 10" squares, 2.5" and 1.5" strips, and chunks/strings? 10" squares can be used to make so many blocks and can be cut into so many other sizes for example:  four 5" squares, four 4" squares, nine 3" squares, sixteen 2.5" squares, twenty-five 2" squares, and lots of 1.5" squares. 2.5" strips can be used for scrappy binding, bricks and squares. 1.5" strips can be used for sashing or cut into squares etc. Chunks can be used to 'make fabric' or for Wild and Goosey blocks. Strings can be used for string blocks. The small pieces that are left go into dog beds as stuffing.
  
  Pledge 1: I will cut scraps/unloved fabric into useable pieces for 3 hours a week or 26 minutes a day for the next 13 days when the Go Big goes back to DD#1. The 3 hours can not be all on one day but 2 days can be combined due to "life" happening.
  Well, I am off to the studio to cut scraps and/or unloved fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment